Speech Delivered by His Excellency, Engr. Abdullahi A. Sule, Executive Governor of Nasarawa State, on the Occasion of the Disbursement of Start-off Grants to Trainees of Women Entrepreneurial and Skill Acquisition, Lafia: Tuesday, 8th September, 2019
You would recall that in June this year, we flagged-off a 2-day Training Programme on Women Entrepreneurial and Skill Acquisitions, aimed at empowering women with appropriate skills for self-employment and reliance. Today’s occasion is therefore, in fulfilment of my pledge at that event to disburse start-off grants to the participants of the training exercise across the thirteen (13) Local Government Areas of the State.
2. Let me commend the “B” Innovation Integrated Limited for collaborating with the State Government in imparting basic skills in various human endeavour, towards the empowerment of the women folk in the State. This is with a view to eradicating poverty, creating wealth and employment generation for socio-economic development.
3. As you are already aware, participants have undergone rigorous training by the resource persons and acquired the requisite knowledge and skills for self-empowerment. I am happy to note that the participants were trained in the production of hand sanitizer, soap making, perfume making, bread making, cake baking and pomade, among others.
4. Ladies and gentlemen, there is no gainsaying that women play vital role in the sustenance of our economy, through active participation in subsistence agriculture, food processing, petty trading, marketing, as well as medium and small scale enterprises.
5. It is important to state that women are the backbone of the informal sector, which contribute largely in driving our economy and are also in the forefront of sustenance of our social and community wellbeing, through the upbringing, education, as well as inculcating moral values of our children. However, in spite of this effort, women suffer some kind of discrimination and deny access to opportunities to harness their potential for the benefit of our society. This informed the resolve of this Administration to prioritize the empowerment of women and youths by liberating them in order to make them active players in our economic development process.
6. It is important to state that this Administration recognized the efforts of women in this direction by engaging them in various skill acquisition programmes since our assumption in office with a view to place them on the high pedestal of human development. This Administration remained committed, realizing the economic challenges occasioned by the outbreak of COVID-19 pandemic. It, therefore, become imperative on us to evolve measures that will cushion the hardship faced by our people in the State.
7. As a follow-up to the training programme, today’s event is to further empower the trainees with the needed resources to start-off the production of the skills acquired for self-reliance. In this regard, one hundred and fifty (150) women will today, benefit from a grant of ten thousand naira (N10,000) each.
8. I, therefore, charge the beneficiaries to make good and judicious use of the grants to enable us realize the purpose for which it is meant for. As Government, we will continue to provide the needed enablement for our women and youths in line with policy objectives of providing succour to the good people of the State.
9. It is my belief that the skills you acquired will go a long way in empowering you for the benefit of the society. Let me, on behalf of the Government congratulate the trainees for the successful completion of the training programme.
10. Let me, once again, commend the “B” Innovation Integrated Limited for this worthy collaboration. I also commend the facilitators for their tremendous contributions in making this programme a reality.
11. On this note, it is my pleasure to symbolically Disburse the start-off Grants to Trainees of Women Entrepreneurial and Skill Acquisitions.
12. Thank you and may God bless us all.